WHAT ARE EXECUTIVE FUNCTIONING SKILLS?
People of all ages with good executive functioning skills can generally approach challenges with the following personal tools:
- They can remember a fair amount of detail.
- They can plan ahead to break a big project into smaller chunks, as well as manage the time needed for each of the steps.
- They can get started on writing and other projects without too much procrastination, and keep up the attention needed to complete each part.
- They can organize information and materials in systems and keep them going over time.
- They can control their behavior and emotions so that they can roll with the ups and downs of life and still stay on track.
- They can keep working towards long-term goals without getting distracted, be flexible and adaptable if the situation changes, and be aware of how they think, work, and problem solve.
Executive functioning coaching is NOT psycho-therapy. Issues may arise that require the services of a professional psycho-therapist, but these should not be confused with the need to strengthen executive functioning skills.